Are you ready for the second edition of the Bert Betterman Bettercast?! I know I am! The first one went so well that I thought I’d try it again. I had the great honor of interviewing physical therapist Jon Schultz about his approach to physical therapy (and many other things). In my opinion, he goes beyond physical therapy in two extremely important ways:
- He integrates nervous system training and the mind/body connection into his practice to get better patient outcomes than a simple bio-mechanical approach.
- While he certainly is great at physical rehab for injury and pain, he also takes a preventative approach in working with people who simply want to maintain their mobility or maximize their performance (hence why I’m still working with him almost a year now after my first appointment).
Regardless of your own state of fitness, I think you’ll find some insightful nuggets within this interview. If you are, however, motivated to work with Jon further after listening to the interview below, you can learn more and set up an appointment at his site Optimum Performance Physical Therapy. His office/gym is located in Urbandale, Iowa, for those local readers/listeners who are curious.
I can personally vouch for his effectiveness since, as I’ve mentioned, I’m still working with him almost a year down the road. It also doesn’t hurt that he has some cutting edge equipment such as the Redcord system and a Jacob’s Ladder. As a bonus for readers and listeners here, Jon is also offering a free evaluation and treatment session to the first three folks who take advantage of the opportunity. Just check out his website and/or give him a call at 515-257-7915 and let him know that you found him via the Bert Betterman Bettercast!
Throughout the podcast we cover the following topics (including a few unexpected curveballs):
- 0:00 – Introduction of Mr. Schultz and educational background
- 1:30 – Why does Vanderbilt always have the Florida Gators’ number in football?
- 4:45 – Best workout music
- 6:00 – Psychology and the nervous system’s role in athletics and physical therapy
- 10:45 – Certification in Postural Restoration and how Jon uses that in his practice (and Ron Hruska’s article in Men’s Health)
- 14:30 – Physical therapy is more than just rehab
- 16:10 – The breakdown of Tiger Woods’ body
- 21:30 – To those who already know how to exercise…why work with a physical therapist?
- 24:45 – The physical plight of the sedentary office worker vs the gym
- 27:05 – Diet and nutrition (and sunlight)
- 29:00 – Fasting and mitochondrial health
- 31:45 – Light energy as a substitute and/or compliment to food
- 34:00 – Preventative care and the importance of time and attention with patients
- 38:50 – Why Jon became a physical therapist (and why he loves what he does)
- 43:30 – A “healthy glute obsession” for stabilization and power
- 46:00 – Direct access to physical therapy (without doctor referrals)
Click “play,” and enjoy!